Dangers of Xylitol Sugar Substitute
It’s common knowledge that chocolate is bad for dogs, but did you know that there’s another silent killer that can even be found as close-by as your purse?
It’s Xylitol, a sugar substitute that is being used in a number of products. These include: toothpastes and mouthwashes, mints, cookies, some brands of peanut butter, sugar-free gum, and children’s vitamins.
Comparing Dangers (for dogs) of Chocolate vs. Xylitol
One of the reasons this natural sugar substitute is becoming so popular, is because it’s seen as a good sugar substitute for diabetics, and on the more cosmetic side, for its anti-cavity properties. This may all seem great on paper, but this “sugar alcohol” could be more harmful to dogs than a piece of chocolate!
As information about Xylitol and the harmful effects it can have on dogs is still not widespread, it’s no surprise that there have been cases where dogs have been able to get at products containing the ingredient, and then become sick or worse.
The FDA issued a warning about it’s dangers to dogs back in 2011, but many dog owners are still unaware.
Simple things like carefully reading the ingredients on labels, brushing your dog’s teeth with products that don’t contain xylitol, being careful about where you leave products containing xylitol, maintaining leash control when outdoors, and other safety measures, can prevent ingestion which could lead to hypoglycemia, and liver failure.
Be on the lookout and keep your dogs safe, or warn your friends with dogs!
For more information look for the #XylitolTreasureHunt logo on Twitter, and special thanks for this Xylitol Awareness article from the Preventive Vet website.
And see here for information on which products contain Xylitol.